Coughlin Associates Announces New Report On Digital Storage For Media And Entertainment
SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Coughlin Associates, the leading analyst firm covering digital storage for the content value chain, announces the 2009 Media and Entertainment Storage Report. This 137 page document with 73 figures and 44 tables covers drivers and projections for the use of digital storage in all aspects of the professional media and entertainment industry. The report is now available (information at http://www.tomcoughlin.com/techpapers.htm) or call 408-871-8808. Some results of this report will be presented at the 2009 Storage Visions Conference.
Strong growth is projected in the use of digital storage for the media and entertainment market driven by higher resolution, more channels for content distribution and lower costs for production, driving greater creation of digital content. Some conclusions from the report are given below:
- Between 2008 and 2014 we expect more than a 12X increase in the required digital storage capacity and over 16X growth in storage capacity shipments per year (from 2,424 PB to 39,722 PB).
- About 85% of the total storage capacity was used for content archiving and preservation in 2008. We believe that this will increase to 97% of total capacity by 2012 due to improved ROI on converted content and lower costs for conversion and preservation.
- In 2008 we estimate that 57% of the total storage media shipped for all the digital entertainment content segments was tape with about 32% optical, about 7% hard disk drives and 4% flash memory (mostly in digital cameras and some media distribution servers).
- By 2014 tape units will increase to 61%, optical decline to about 15%, hard disk drives increase to 19% and flash increasing somewhat to 5%.
- Total revenue for storage media will increase more than 2X from 2008 through 2014 ($387 M to $807 M)
- Total revenue for media and entertainment storage will increase about 2.8X from 2008 through 2014 ($3.5 B to $9.9 B)
The author, Tom Coughlin, of Coughlin Associates will show some of these results in his introductory talk at the beginning of the 2009 Storage Visions Conference on January 6, 2009. The Eighth Annual Storage Visions Conference to be held at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada January 6 & 7, 2009. Storage Visions is the place to participate in digital storage enabling the digital content revolution (www.storagevisions.com).
Conference registration is now open. You can register directly at the conference web site at http://www.StorageVisions.com/2009Register.htm. Conference hotel reservation information is also on the web site at http://www.storagevisions.com/2009Travel.htm.
For information on sponsorship and exhibit opportunities at the 2009 conference visit http://www.StorageVisions.com/2009SponsorsEx.htm, call us at 408-871-8808 or email us at info@StorageVisions.com.
Copyright 2008 Business Wire All Rights Reserved.